Adding a material...

Adding a material...

Hello,

I have attached a file that contains an object that I am trying to apply a material to. The material does not show up correctly. I am not sure if I need to scale the material or do something else.

Can anyone please explain how I can make the materials show on the object correctly?

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• Base.jas.zip
    28.2 KB · Views: 277

If this is what you want, and it's not about the preview window.

The UV Mapper Tool can be used, but not with the current mesh.

Rebuild from a cylinder.

Attachments

• Brick Base.jpg
    Brick Base.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 332

Here's a slightly improved version with an added grout line.

Cylindrical mapping for the outside and top course, and Flat
mapping for the top surface, scaling each in the UV Mapper.

If you need more help, give a shout, it's confusing to me as well.

Attachments

• Brick Base02.jpg
    Brick Base02.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 322
  • Brick Base zhd.jas.zip
    21.3 KB · Views: 280
Triangles don't cause problems with UV mapping (in the end, it's all triangles anyway). They cause problems with deformation during animation.

Thanks Pod, I should have realized that, after all
the top of a cylinder is all triangles, :redface: Doh!

I made an attempt to UV Map the stl file with poor results,
I'm not sure which scale parameter I changed that time,
there are four to choose from that I know of. :confused:

Maybe you can tell me which one to use, there are two in
the UV Mapper and two in the materials property panel.

Two are X and Y and two are X-Y-Z, so is that 2D and 3D?

Is this what they mean by "Knowledge is Pain".

The UV mapper essentially projects a bunch of UVs onto the selected mesh and it previews the effects live while it's active (there's a whole other thread on this...).

The 3D coordinates affect the center of the projection. Usually you want it centered on the object you're working with, so just click "Center Projection". Next, the UV mapper doesn't actually do anything (i.e. make the preview real) until you click "Write UV Coordinates".

In general, the spherical mapping works well for roughly spherical objects (but not for C3D's spheres! see below); the box mapping works well for boxes, cubes, simple houses; cylindrical mapping works well for cylinders; and planar mapping works really well if restricted to a selection of roughly coplanar faces (you can then "stamp" all or part of a texture onto the selection). This latter technique is used in my coffee cup tutorial.

The 2D coordinates scale or offset the UV map (UV maps are always 2D, although in theory you can have 3D UV maps, C3D doesn't support them; C3D only supports 3D spatial mapping).

Aside on Spheres

The standard spherical mapping is pretty much borked on C3D's standard spheres — you can see it if you convert one to editable and look at its UV map. Parts of the material are simply ignored near the poles. This is because the UV-mapping spheres "nicely" is impossible, and "effectively" is very hard. (Maybe a tutorial on its own.)

Illustrations top-to-bottom:

1. Spherical Projection restricted to selection (the sphere-like part of the mesh).
  2. Bad things happen at the poles. (Thank goodness for the icecaps, am I right?)
  3. Planar Projection scaled down a bit from default settings

Attachments

• UV Mapper spherical projection restricted to selection.jpg
    UV Mapper spherical projection restricted to selection.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 282
  • UV mapper bad things happen at the poles.jpg
    UV mapper bad things happen at the poles.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 288
  • UV Mapper Planar Projection.jpg
    UV Mapper Planar Projection.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 289
Last edited: