Morph target questions

Morph target questions

Hi!!!

Bought the upgrade, installed it, working great!!! Very nice work done in this new version!!!

Since I was one of the persons who voted for character animation features, my first questions go to that area:

-Is it possible to load/import morphs from a file? For example, if I have two OBJs that hold the same number of faces/verts, same topology, etc... can I tell C3D to compute the difference between those two OBJs and store the result as a morph target?

-In order to plan my work accordingly and avoid unnecessary "scary moments": Is the current morph target implementation designed/optimized to hold a big number of targets for a given object (I mean two things here: memory-wise and performance-wise: memory-wise refers to if all vertices positions are stored for each morph, or just the actually different vertices; performance-wise refers to the math performed each time you drag a morph slider -ie: something like caching the result of the morphs whose slider you aren't dragging- )

As I said, I ask this just for planning the best approach to start working, and avoid having to un-walk unproper steps.

Did I say 4.0 looks great?

Hi Ces,
If I understand correctly, morphs work on a per object basis so you couldn't import a morph from another seperate object.

As for performance, how many morphs targets are you thinking of using?

Andrew

Hi Ces,
If I understand correctly, morphs work on a per object basis so you couldn't import a morph from another seperate object.
Of course, but I'm thinking in importing stuff from Poser and from MakeHuman. For example, I can export the base mesh from Poser, in OBJ. Then (also in Poser) I can apply a morph target, with 1.0 weight, and export again in OBJ (the same mesh as before, but with the morph applied).

Then, I want to import the base mesh in C3D, and compute the difference between such two OBJs, so that I get the base mesh plus a morph target. I could repeat that process for each morph target I'm interested in.

As for performance, how many morphs targets are you thinking of using?
Did you ever use Poser with Daz models?

Of course, but I'm thinking in importing stuff from Poser and from MakeHuman. For example, I can export the base mesh from Poser, in OBJ. Then (also in Poser) I can apply a morph target, with 1.0 weight, and export again in OBJ (the same mesh as before, but with the morph applied).

Then, I want to import the base mesh in C3D, and compute the difference between such two OBJs, so that I get the base mesh plus a morph target. I could repeat that process for each morph target I'm interested in.
No. There is a script on the forum that does this already.
Did you ever use Poser with Daz models?
No.

Andrew

Try this at home;-)

Hi ces.
Ok after figuring out what you´re aiming for I find a quite nice trick - (I think so)
Make your poses and export them as obj. (MakeHuman). They are quite large with about 1,7MB (each about 10.000 polygons). Import them into Cheetah3d4.0. Now add to mesh No 1 the morph target tag and click the"+". Now and maybe no one would have expect this - click&drag the tag to the next mesh and hit the "+" again and so on. At last drag your morph target tag with all the records you made to mesh No1. Make all other meshes invisible or delete them. Now play with the sliders and have fun.

Sorry for that stupid example I made (it containes just two targets- got just 30min for a first go) but I hope it´ll explain it in a rough way.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• MorphMov.png
    MorphMov.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 716
  • MorphingHuman.mov.zip
    116.7 KB · Views: 484
Hi ces.
Ok after figuring out what you´re aiming for I find a quite nice trick - (I think so)
Make your poses and export them as obj. (MakeHuman). They are quite large with about 1,7MB (each about 10.000 polygons). Import them into Cheetah3d4.0. Now add to mesh No 1 the morph target tag and click the"+". Now and maybe no one would have expect this - click&drag the tag to the next mesh and hit the "+" again and so on. At last drag your morph target tag with all the records you made to mesh No1. Make all other meshes invisible or delete them. Now play with the sliders and have fun.

Sorry for that stupid example I made (it containes just two targets- got just 30min for a first go) but I hope it´ll explain it in a rough way.

With kindest regards
Frank
Great trick!!!! Thanks a lot for sharing it!!!!

I really wish they release the next version or MakeHuman, because there's very useful W.I.P. according to the blog, but unfortunately it seems it will take several months.

Going to test this myself now. If it works this will be a huge thing for me. I prefer to create my morph targets in zbrush.

Tested and works perfectly. Thank you so much.
Cheers

Mike

Last edited:
I start to understand - but can´t you simply morph the OBJ then?
Or are you trying to transfer one morph-tag to different objects like I did in the Jekyll&Hide example?

Cheers
Frank

I start to understand - but can´t you simply morph the OBJ then?
Or are you trying to transfer one morph-tag to different objects like I did in the Jekyll&Hide example?

Cheers
Frank

I tried to Jekyll&Hide it. I did not think it possible to morph two obj together if they have a different number of polygons. It is clear to me that I know nothing about morphing will have to learn more.:redface:

Back