Node Editor adding Logo to solid background

Node Editor adding Logo to solid background

Hi,

I am new, having come over from Carrara. This looks like product that will make 3D graphics quicker... and I like the node editor, but am challenged.

I have a coffee mug, which I want to be teal...

Then I have a logo which I want to appear on the cup ( I am not particular where it goes).

So, How does this work? I could look into UV editor, I guess, or cheat and add another object to the logo... but i would think nodes is the best way to go.

Hi and Welcome aboard!
Try this @home and tell if it helps:
AddingLogoComposite.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Very nice Frank thank you!
Is there a way to view the composite( solid and png ) in the 3 view?
it only shows in a render?

Is there a way to view the composite( solid and png ) in the 3 view?
it only shows in a render?
As you might know none of the procedural textures will be displayed in 3d view - I think something like advanced openGL2.0 support needs to be implemented for that purpose.

Cheers
Frank

Applying composite sort of worked, but not as expected

Well, it sort of worked, but not as expected. The logo is very small, cropped and forced to the top. I tried UV1 and UV2, to no avail, as well as scaling... it seems like the logo area is locked to the top area.

Suggestions? OR is there some really good documentation for this feature? It looks (conceptually) great, I just need someone to explain the concept.

coffeecuplogo.png

My Node view and UV

Well, I followed the instructions for the UV... the logo came out nicely... BUT oddly, the mug also has the image on it, instead of having a solid color.

Which leads me to believe that I am doing this oh so wrong... and would like some info on how to do correctly.

Also wished this board would let up upload photos as opposed to having to upload them to web server first, and then post URL. A bit of a pain...
screenshotuv.png

sampleUV.png

Last edited:
You can upload images of course:
And when you´re at it can you please zip the jas file of the mug and load it up here? Your UVs are cryptic! :D
And why is your mesh already triangulated?

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• UploadAttachements.png
    UploadAttachements.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 378
If it was me I would rebuild the Mug then UV map it. It's always good to learn from your mistakes I have made so many I should by this logic be a genius.:wink:

If it was me I would rebuild the Mug then UV map it. It's always good to learn from your mistakes I have made so many I should by this logic be a genius.:wink:
I think you´re right - but nonetheless - even this topology mess can be unwrapped quite easily: :D

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• MugUVs.jas.zip
    390 KB · Views: 310
  • MugUVs.png
    MugUVs.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 312
Documentation or examples

Okay, you say it is easily done, and I don't doubt it. However, I would like to know HOW to do it. Carrara had a very thorough manual... the help screens for Cheetah are a good start. How do you delete or undo UV? Can you give the UV regions meaningful names?

Okay, you say it is easily done, and I don't doubt it. However, I would like to know HOW to do it. Carrara had a very thorough manual... the help screens for Cheetah are a good start. How do you delete or undo UV? Can you give the UV regions meaningful names?
I wish you would not have introduced triangles to the mesh - then the unwrapping is a thing of 2 minutes. To ged rid of UV seams go in edge mode and call "select all seams" then "toggle seams" and they´re gone. From what I read there are no seams at all in your example. Yu can use seams or unwrap via polygon selection BTW.
If you like to know how to build this kind of mug more efficiently let me know and I will see if there´s room left on my Screencast.com-account for a little video.

Cheers
Frank

Here's a Quad Mug UV mapped. And the file if anyone wants it. Had a good time working this up. Handle is there too.

Attachments

• QuadMug.zip
    20.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Mug.jpg
    Mug.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 328
  • Mug.gif
    Mug.gif
    89.2 KB · Views: 298
finally got it working, sort of

Got it working.... sort of. Not exactly sure how...

I guess there is no way of naming the UV sections.. that would be helpful.

Regarding the mug, I did not design it. I downloaded it. I normally only design custom shapes... Any household objects or anything that would take me more than 15 minutes to model... I will just search for and download.

Was never an issue in Carrara, but every program is different.

My biggest issue is that the help provided with the application are just enough to get started... the output the ease of use in most of the application is great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 8.30.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 8.30.42 AM.png
    263.6 KB · Views: 295
I updated the Mug file to more closely match your Mug. Here it is along withthe UV map template with the sections labeled.
I did this by opening the UV.pdf in Gimp then adding text to the template UV map.

Attachments

• MugTemplate.zip
    226.2 KB · Views: 300
  • MugLable.jpg
    MugLable.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 286
  • Mug2Go.zip
    348.6 KB · Views: 313
  • MugImage.jpg
    MugImage.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited: