Realism Tips

Hi Dave,

I think your second attempt is really well done, aside form the scaling issue that was already mentioned.
I think you'd probably be happy with your result if you just tweaked the lighting a little bit, made it warmer. If you take a look at the shot that Terry posted you'll see how warm the light is inside the box.

Erin

I've been playing with the UV scale properties of my material on this one to get it to the correct scale which it seems to do fine, there is one issue though - the bump map seems to be staying at the original scale - is there something I'm not doing/doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

I've been playing with the UV scale properties of my material on this one to get it to the correct scale which it seems to do fine, there is one issue though - the bump map seems to be staying at the original scale - is there something I'm not doing/doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Are you using the same scale for the bump map?

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• BumpScale.jpg
    BumpScale.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 469
Are you using the same scale for the bump map?

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank, no idea why but for some reason I'd decided to alter the UV scale on each individual placement of the material. A quick jump to the node editor and I sorted it (and it's much quicker to edit too!)

Thanks for the help!

The forum has been pretty quiet today so I figured I might as well post my progress on this one, I'm happy enough in general - just need to tackle the rope handles next...

Attachments

• winebox-3.jpg
    winebox-3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 416
Looks really great! The purple one looks more like an image than the red/blue ones. I dunno if you could "texture" it a little to make it look more like a part of the box?

Otherwise, nice work!!

Looks really great! The purple one looks more like an image than the red/blue ones. I dunno if you could "texture" it a little to make it look more like a part of the box?

Otherwise, nice work!!

Yeah they're a little bit too flat and perfect. I'll probably sort that out in post though. I read a quote from someone saying if you can get close in 3d that's good enough, the rest can be done post 3d. Makes sense too, there's no point me creating render after render when I can tweak in real time in photoshop

Agreed with doing the "finishing" in post. Still if the render's good, then post will give it a good polish.

btw, the middle label should be "Valentine's Day" not "Valentines Day" -- yes, I am one of those peeps who respect grammar. After all, she's such a nice old lady :tongue:

btw, the middle label should be "Valentine's Day" not "Valentines Day" -- yes, I am one of those peeps who respect grammar. After all, she's such a nice old lady :tongue:

Good spot, I'll have a word with the supplier - the label graphics aren't my work. Good thing they're not in production yet!

Hi Frank, is the pathed helix script working for you in 5.6? I've never used it before and am getting a javascript error (it could be that I installed it in the wrong location though, I couldn't see any instructions)

I'm having the same problem with the pathed helix, doesn't work for some reason? :confused:

I'm not having much success with the rope handles on this one. I've attached a pic which shows my render of the handles alongside and actual photo (afraid that's the largest I have it)

I can see that the rope is lighter in colour, has more of a weave and that my cylinder needs knocking out of it's perfect shape a little - probably with the magnet tool but I'd appreciate any help on this one. I 'm just not sure how to achieve that kind of texture. The final render is only going to be quite small but at the moment it's just not close (or real) enough.

Thanks

Attachments

• ropes.jpg
    ropes.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 364
Ok - this is not a drilled but a woven rope. If it has to be and to real geometry quite some work is going to get into.

Here´s a real quick hack with Todd´s script and the default aged wood shader.

No light just AO rendering.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• DrilledRope.jpg
    DrilledRope.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 362
The wood texture has definitely added some depth to that, I'll give it a try.

Did you use the magnet to imperfect the shape?

Thanks (as always) Frank

Did you use the magnet to imperfect the shape?

No - it´s still in spline "mood". Just 3 control points for the rope spline. Increase the approximation angle of the splines to get a lower poly count. If it´s going to look too flat increase the "smooth angle" as well. My rope is 10k heavy.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• RopeSpline.jpg
    RopeSpline.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 349
Back