Faux Volumetrics

Faux Volumetrics

I had a quick stab at faking volumetrics using the inverse of i.n combined with turbulence. I'm not super happy with the results but thought I'd post the materials for people to play with.

Attachments

• Faux Volumetrics.jpeg
    Faux Volumetrics.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • materials.zip
    42.6 KB · Views: 600
  • Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 7.13.24 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 7.13.24 PM.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,324
i-n node

thanks tonio for reminding us of the i-n - node (whatever that means) !

a couple of questions though:

why do you use two subtract nodes that cancel each other out ?
or a subtract with a gradient instead of one reversed gradient ?
inspired by terry's clouds material i got rid of the dark halo by simply setting overall transparency to white instead of procedural input
(default turbulence node, power node can be used instead of gradient):

Screen shot 2009-11-16 at 1.26.43 PM.png

now i got another strange result:

when i scaled down the hight of the ball with the cloud material in order to get a more flattened shape like in your pic, the middle area disappeared. (with both material versions) :frown:
it came back when i aligned the edge of the ellipsoid towards the camera...

image.png
Screen shot 2009-11-16 at 1.25.36 PM.png

Ah -- no clue why transparency was working so badly, but switching to a pure "emission-based cloud" works for this shot (although it would look weird if something "shone through" it -- so it would be nice if I could finesse transparency to work properly).

Here's new versions of the two faux volumetric materials that have more controllable results (and the cloud is simpler) -- and I've used the state node to force them to use global coordinates.

Four spheres for pretty nice clouds.

Attachments

• Faux Volumetrics.jpeg
    Faux Volumetrics.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,268
  • Screen shot 2009-11-16 at 10.30.21 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-16 at 10.30.21 AM.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,250
  • New Particle and Cloud Materials.zip
    22.5 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:
Nice image concept. Thanks.

Speaking of Transparencies:
I've been experimenting with solid color shader transparencies which work well, but having some trouble when adding too many one behind the other, where a black boxes begin to appear at the borders if too many transparencies added (too many flames one behind the other, where the invisible part becomes black).

Nice image concept. Thanks.

Speaking of Transparencies:
I've been experimenting with solid color shader transparencies which work well, but having some trouble when adding too many one behind the other, where a black boxes begin to appear at the borders if too many transparencies added (too many flames one behind the other, where the invisible part becomes black).

Hi DarthS
go to Render/RenderPreferences tool and try to increase Max.RayDepth (default is 6).

cheers,
A

Is there a way to change the color of the clouds? I'm thinking this could be useful for nebulas for space-scapes.

Can't seem to get it to do anything but white clouds no matter what colors I change.

now i got another strange result:

when i scaled down the hight of the ball with the cloud material in order to get a more flattened shape like in your pic, the middle area disappeared. (with both material versions) :frown:
it came back when i aligned the edge of the ellipsoid towards the camera...

I'm having the same problem. Which blows because I'd like to make an animation with the finished product so the clouds need to like right from any angle.

Is there a way to change the color of the clouds? I'm thinking this could be useful for nebulas for space-scapes.

Can't seem to get it to do anything but white clouds no matter what colors I change.

hi polarbear,

have you tried to color the grey (left) start of the gradient ?
works fine for me.

for the *empty-middle-sphere* problem i haven't found a workaround except using undistorted spheres.

Screen shot 2009-12-13 at 5.38.32 PM.png

I'm having the same problem. Which blows because I'd like to make an animation with the finished product so the clouds need to like right from any angle.

lol quick solution :
instead of scaling down the height of a sphere use an array of spheres to achieve the flattened look.
important: set shading space to world in the mat tag and increase raytrace depth in the render preferences when you notice weird b/w artifacts in your render.

View attachment cloudarray.jas.zip

hi polarbear,

have you tried to color the grey (left) start of the gradient ?
works fine for me.

for the *empty-middle-sphere* problem i haven't found a workaround except using undistorted spheres.

I did try to find a way to change that color but couldn't. How'd you change it?

clicking on the grey end in the gradient did nothing and double clicking just added a new tick mar under the gradient which I can't figure out how to delete the extra tick mark now. :(

clicking on the grey end in the gradient did nothing and double clicking just added a new tick mar under the gradient which I can't figure out how to delete the extra tick mark now. :(

you need to click in the grey tick mark in order to have the color picker appearing, when you doubleclick in the gradient you'll get a new mark you can simply drag apart/away again.

Thanks for sharing this one! Very very suave. I love how you faked the SSS. An that might be the best C3D flame I've seen so far. :icon_thumbup:

Back