Nintendo Wii - WIP

Changed the LED to an orb and then applied solid colour and radiosity. The effect can be seen up close but is not particularly noticeable when viewed at the current distance. I cranked the samples to compensate for the distance but it started to create some wierd artifacts on the model (not this render though) :confused:

Attachments

• Wii Final Rev2.jpg
    Wii Final Rev2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Changed the LED to an orb and then applied solid colour and radiosity. The effect can be seen up close but is not particularly noticeable when viewed at the current distance. I cranked the samples to compensate for the distance but it started to create some wierd artifacts in the on the model (not this render though) :confused:

this looks promising, jon.

for the halo firstly the led needs to be extended above the button surface a little bit for the surface actually to see/receive radiosity from the solid color;
the rest depends on the lightning.
in my example i used the cheetah entrance pano hdri and no direct light, here solid color strength 10 was sufficient to produce the halo.
if you have direct light on your model it may become more difficult...

this looks promising, jon.

for the halo firstly the led needs to be extended above the button surface a little bit for the surface actually to see/receive radiosity from the solid color;
the rest depends on the lightning.
in my example i used the cheetah entrance pano hdri and no direct light, here solid color strength 10 was sufficient to produce the halo.
if you have direct light on your model it may become more difficult...

Hi Archie. Thanks for all help, its been most useful :smile:

Ive rendered it without any other lighting, just HDRI (entrance pano) and I've got the right result but what are those irregularities/artifacts on the model?

Attachments

• Wii.jpg
    Wii.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 238
Hi Archie. Thanks for all help, its been most useful :smile:

Ive rendered it without any other lighting, just HDRI (entrance pano) and I've got the right result but what are those irregularities/artifacts on the model?

wow, quick progress !

the artifacts are from the irradiance cache of the radiosity algorithm.
if you want to have a detailed smooth result there is no other way than to decrease the irradiance error (to 0.1 from 0.15 maybe) and then crank up the samples, i think 2500 minimum, hit render and then wait...

Righto ...well this is gonna take a while ...might go make a cup of tea or two!!

Thanks again for the help Archie. Ill post another render when its done.

I set the irradiance error to 0.01 and cranked the samples to 4500 and left it for quite some time :) ...however the problem still remained.

I tried it at 6000 samples and it got less but the rendering times are ridiculous so I don't think Ill go any higher.

I have found that using another light source does seem to stop the artifacts but then the halo around the LED becomes barely noticeable.

Any other suggestions?

have you tried an arealight with very low power (.1-.2 or so) to enhance lights on those parts? just a guess, i'm still trying to learn interior lighting mysteries...

you might try different hdris or put the model in a cube with an indirect spotlight, tweak the solid color strength (you should not have the irradiance error below 0.5 though).
but well yes, there is a point where the ratio of rendertime vs achieved effect becomes awkward, then it's time for postprocessing (paint in halo in PS).

Tried a low power area light which kind of solves the problem but then reduces the realistic lighting that HDRI gives. Have also tried different HDRI's but that doesn't make a difference. I think I will persevere with this though. Im sure Ill stumble across something that sorts it out :)
Thanks again for the help guys! Its really appreciated.

This is where Im at. No HDRI, just a sky light and some spots. Fog, and a plain for the scene and Ambient occlusion as I cant seem to get the right look with radiosity without using HDRI. I need to add the halo around the LED but don't have photoshop, any alternative software I can try? ...preferably free :D

Attachments

• Wii.jpg
    Wii.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 233
oops

coincidental posting !

i think you should add the blue solid for the cd slot (?) from franks example for the glow effect and try some more indirect lightning, our examples show it's clearly possible and from trying you will learn a lot.
remember when testing, turn down radiosity samples and antialiasing (1x/1x), turn up irradiance error etc for noisy but short rendertimes, when the lightning is affective crank up the parameters again for final render.
have fun with your nice model !

The blue light in the CD slot is next on my list ...once I've got my rendering issues sorted :)

Thanks for the advice Archie. Id be running round in very frustrated circles if it wasn't for this forum :D

Ok ...think I've had a breakthrough. I have now got it sorted ...I think. I am using a HDRI at 1.5 with an area light at 1.0 (way off in the distance) and changed the emissive colour on the Wii to nearer to white than black and that has gotten rid of the artifacts my renders were suffering from before when using HDRI. It needs some more tweaking but I think Im now going in the right direction ...finally :D

Attachments

• Wii Rev2.jpg
    Wii Rev2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 260
For the LED you can try to put a tiny green spot light in front with a smooth cut off. And for the LED material I`d go for just "material" and increase the emissive part there - so you can have reflection from the surface of the LED at the same time - for example.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• FakeLED.jpeg
    FakeLED.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 317
Hi Frank! Good tip. I think Im Wii modelled out for a while now so I've left it at this stage...

Attachments

• Wii + Games upload.jpg
    Wii + Games upload.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 254
Hi Jack!

Haha in all the time I've owned a Wii I never noticed that. Consider that corner now cut :)

Attachments

• Nintendo Wii upload.jpg
    Nintendo Wii upload.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Back