Santa's belt buckle

Santa's belt buckle

Thanks to all (particularly Frank) on the assistance in modeling Santa's suit buttons. I've had three 3D print results and each has been a substantial improvement (mostly mistakes from perspective - what looks like a mountain in C3D is not even a mole hill when its real life dimensions are less than 1mm. A "ACTUAL SIZE" option would be handy ;-))

Now I need to model Santa's belt buckle. An approximately 5-inch brass ring will provide the base for a holly leaf design and a 4-inch leather belt to be used, attached to the tongue and then latched in the back with holes punctured in the belt. I can model the prime elements of the buckle within C3D (torus or extruded disk) but I'm having trouble figuring out how to model the holly leaf design details. I don't think I can all a bump displacement map in the same manner, but then - maybe I can.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here is a dimensional drawing of the buckle and a PNG file I like for the relief. Maybe this is something to be modeled in ZBrush or a similar drawing program?

Attachments

• Belt-Buckle-13FEB13-A.jpg
    Belt-Buckle-13FEB13-A.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 558
  • WreathArt-22FEB13.jpg
    WreathArt-22FEB13.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 715
When I got it right your motif don´t match the buckle proportions.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• HolyLeafRelief.jpg
    HolyLeafRelief.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Frank
Yes, and no. I realize there is no method of projecting the wreath with extensions onto the buckle base, but it is easy for me to resize the width of that base to accommodate the design, if that is necessary. Probably need a bit more than the 1/2 inch width anyway to provide a strong buckle, given the pressures that the "cookie zone" stretch applies to the buckle and belt ;-))

So, here's a revised version. Just wondering how to apply the relief?

Attachments

• wreath-base.jpg
    wreath-base.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 487
That is what mine looked like:
(need to be cropped for an upload here.)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• IlexDisplaceQuarter.png
    IlexDisplaceQuarter.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 446
Frank - thanks.
So I should apply this in the same manner we did the button displacement?
Create Disk, subdivision and displacement, load the displacement. Then remove the center of the disk and build the sides and rear via cover, bevel and extrude?

Too, is there a way to keep cover from deforming the sides and back of the buckle model? It seems the displacement is applied to the entire model, not just the top surface when you use 'cover' tool.

Thanks in advance for your terrific support and guidance...Stephen

Too, is there a way to keep cover from deforming the sides and back of the buckle model? It seems the displacement is applied to the entire model, not just the top surface when you use 'cover' tool.
The Displacement-modifier manipulates the whole mesh - so I´d go the same route as with your former project.

Cheers
Frank

Why do I not get the detail that you do from the application of the displacement? My image (at 2048x2048, 16-bit png) has been gaussian blurred and resembles yours.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-26 at 10.41.23 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-26 at 10.41.23 AM.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 408
I guess you need "much" more geometry.
Try this one:
Load your image into the displacement-modifier and see if this helps.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• BuckleDraft.jas.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 231
Back