Lighting & Reflection Questions

Lighting & Reflection Questions

I am constructing a datacenter in Cheetah with 4 post racks loaded with servers. I want several rows of racks full of servers showing. I want suggestions about the type of lights that would probably work best.
Also, I think I am missing something, how do I keep the lower dark gray servers from reflecting the floor color.

Thanks,
David

Posting a sample would help.

Personally, on the lighting question, I would recommend either having the room lit by a large number of small lights (such as LEDs on the computers, and so on), and relying on them being luminescent to light the room and give it a nicely geeky feel... or else I would suggest a very large, very soft area light directly above the room, with an intensity of perhaps 0.5 and an attenuation of 1/(r^2). This would light the whole room softly (you could always turn up the intensity), and fun would be had by all.

As for the reflection issue: In your Radiosity tag, change the mode from "Radiosity" to "Ambient Diffusion". This method is actually cheating a little bit - it doesn't actually calculate true colour bleeding. However, it should fix your problem. If not, try seeing if you can perhaps move the bottom row of machines slightly away from the floor, or making the floor material a darker colour.

Back