Basic question about user-defined texture wrapping

Basic question about user-defined texture wrapping

I'm wanting to be able to wrap my own images around some basic shapes. For cylinders this is easy - I place my design in a rectangle with the width = the circumference of the cylinder, and the height, well, = the height. Load it in, and it works exactly as I want. But when I do this for a cube, I get the texture pasted onto *each* face of the cube. I don't want this - I want to be able to wrap the one texture/image around four faces of the cube and I want the top and bottom faces to remain uniform (for that bit I can probably paste in appropriate occluding shapes in drawing package; that worked well for the cylinders).

Either:
1. I need to figure out how to make the texture 'wrap'. (And I would like the main part of the image to centre on a vertex (i.e. with the cube set on the diamond, as tilers would say). In general, I see no options for this approach. Or:
2. I need to figure out how to paste textures onto individual faces, and start with four texture panels instead of the one long one. Perhaps there is a way of deconstructing a cube object into its faces - pasting in the images - and then joining them back together again. Dunno.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

1. I need to figure out how to make the texture 'wrap'. (And I would like the main part of the image to centre on a vertex (i.e. with the cube set on the diamond, as tilers would say). In general, I see no options for this approach.
2. I need to figure out how to paste textures onto individual faces, and start with four texture panels instead of the one long one. Perhaps there is a way of deconstructing a cube object into its faces - pasting in the images - and then joining them back together again. Dunno.
To make it short - all this can be done with tools "under" the hood - so you need to dig a bit deeper:
1: Go in UV Editing mode - make your object editable - select individual polygons and look where they appear.
2: Select a polygon and drag a material onto it - that´s all it takes. Adjustments can be done in more than one way.
Find the UV mapper and its flat-projection on selected polygons and so forth.
Sooner or later you´ll have to go for "pinning points" while your loaded image is "editable" and setting seams for unwrapping a row of polys as you may want - and more.
Or best could be to take a plunge into and have a play with example files - best way to learn.

Cheers
Frank

I'm wanting to be able to wrap my own images around some basic shapes. For cylinders this is easy - I place my design in a rectangle with the width = the circumference of the cylinder, and the height, well, = the height. Load it in, and it works exactly as I want. But when I do this for a cube, I get the texture pasted onto *each* face of the cube. I don't want this - I want to be able to wrap the one texture/image around four faces of the cube and I want the top and bottom faces to remain uniform (for that bit I can probably paste in appropriate occluding shapes in drawing package; that worked well for the cylinders).

Either:
1. I need to figure out how to make the texture 'wrap'. (And I would like the main part of the image to centre on a vertex (i.e. with the cube set on the diamond, as tilers would say). In general, I see no options for this approach. Or:

Can anyone help?

Thanks

If you're using the UV mapper there's a checkbox that will let you only apply it to the selected face...

Attachments

• uvmapper.png
    uvmapper.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 263
My guess is you would have to toggle the seams of the box like this. Unwrap UVs and move the material in the right position.

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-27 at 10.14.35.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-27 at 10.14.35.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 265
  • box.jas.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 199
Back