Real newbie questions

Real newbie questions

Just got my registered Cheetah3d and am having a blast. Just getting started in playing with graphics. Questions:
- Can I use bumpmaps with my textures and, if so, how?
- I need an explanation of the different types of materials in the material drawer. How they differ, how they're used, why pick one over another...
- I've been using some textures and models from 3dCafe. Sometimes when I try to apply a texture - bricks - to a large wall, the bricks expand in size to fill the space and I end up with bricks that look like there huge. How do I avoid this problem?
- If I create a scene in Cheetah3d is there a way to use it in an OpenGL program. Say I create a model of my house... can I use it in an OpenGL program to create a 'walk-through' simulation.

That's it for now. More to come for sure.

Thanks.
-Phil

there are many ways of walk throughs, for example you could model all in cheetah3d export it as obj, import it into blender as obj, apply textures, create baked radiosity, and save all as an interactive application.

if the brik texture is to big, than you have to scale it down and increase the x and y repeat values i guess.

if you want to use a bump map you have to load the image into the bump channel.

wood creates wood, marble creates marble, velvet is a fabric like shader.
diffuse is the objects base color, specular is the highlight, .. play with those settings and compare renderings with settings.

claas

You need to load a supermaterial Phil. Double click it and and look at the material info. Half way down you will see a heading for Bump. Click and navigate to your bump.

Re: Real newbie questions

Hi Phil,
Phil said:
- I've been using some textures and models from 3dCafe. Sometimes when I try to apply a texture - bricks - to a large wall, the bricks expand in size to fill the space and I end up with bricks that look like there huge. How do I avoid this problem?

Every material tag has a property called "UV Scale". Use this to scale your brick texture. Just increase the "UV Scale" values.

Phil said:
- If I create a scene in Cheetah3d is there a way to use it in an OpenGL program. Say I create a model of my house... can I use it in an OpenGL program to create a 'walk-through' simulation.

If you want to load .obj or .3ds files into your OpenGL app. You have to write a file loader because OpenGL doesn't offer function to load 3D or texture files. OpenGL does just the drawing. You have to load the data yourself. The easiest way is to google arround and search for some .3ds or .obj file loader tutorials and sample code.

By,
Martin

Thanks

Thanks, all, for your responses. Things are moving along nicely. Still having fun, but really taxing my puny iBook (1G/G4).

My remaining problem is that I've created a window on a house. I cut a hole in the wall, framed it out, and put in a thin 'box' tinted a very pale blue with very low opacity. It looks great in the editor but renders as an opaqu lite blue 'box'. How can I keep the transparency property in the rendered version?

Thanks.

I have some interface suggestions I'll put in a seperate topic.

-Phil

Back