Quad-Processor G5 -- The results...

Quad-Processor G5 -- The results...

Did some tests this morning on two of my models with full HDRI and Radiosity. Scenes 1024 x 768, both with Radiosity samples 300, Diffuse scattering 3.

Machine1: PowerMac G5 2.5 GHz Dual Dual-core, 1.5 GB RAM

Machine 2: PowerMac G5 2.0 GHz Dual Single-core, 2GB RAM.

Scene 1, Machine 1: Rendered in 814s
Scene 1, Machine 2: Rendered in 1812s

SpeedUp 2.23 x

(if I do a fag-packet normalization of processor speeds, the speed up is 3.55 times single to quad processor).

Scene 2, Machine 1: Rendered in 1637s
Scene 2, Machine 2: Rendered in 3538s

SpeedUp 2.16 x

A cursory test, but pretty impressive.

And just to prove it:

Attachments

• picture_5_124.jpg
    picture_5_124.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 549
Nice. Is that your machine Tim. I didn't think you owned a dual-core based on previous posts. What kind of RAM or does that make a difference in this case?

Hi Tim,
it's good to hear how Cheetah3D performs on a Quad Mac since I don't own one. :cry:

I think a speed up of 3.55x compared to single CPU Mac is quite good since there is always some overhead caused by multithreading.

By,
Martin

Jeff --

Not my machine, more's the pity :( It was one that MacUser magazine had in for testing. I managed to secure a few hours alone with it in the labs...

The quad has DDR2 RAM, but I don't think that makes a lot of difference.

Like I said in a previous post, the real let-down was the graphics speed. The GeForce 6600/256 really wasn't good enough to show what the PCI-express interface can deliver.

Martin -- 3.55 is really good. When I did a test with CineBench, it gave 2.9x as the multi-processor speedup.

Back