SVG -> Polyplane -> Extrude -> Crash

American-Heron

Hey all!

I'm having a weird issue where sometimes Cheetah3d will spin out and die after I:

- Import an SVG
- Use a Polyplane to turn it into geometry
- Select all the faces
- Extrude the faces
- Try to select all the faces again

It's not a massive number of tris/verts either. I have a video recording of it happening but apparently can't upload it. I can't upload the SVG either, but it's available at https://game-icons.net/1x1/lorc/frog.html

The weirdest part of the whole issue is that it's not on the extrude, but simply selecting the faces _after_ extruduing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something weird about the SVG or something like that?

I've been using Cheetah3d for quite a long time now, and have used this workflow before with other SVGs, but recently it's happened with a few that I've tried.

Edit: This also happens if I try to select all of the points as well.

Version 7.5.3

Last edited:
Hi.
I found just 1 double node and I’m not sure if this might be the culprit. Can you please test this corrected SVG?

Attachments

• frog4U.svg.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 33
Instead of using the Polyplane, just use an Extrude, if you're going to extrude anyway.
One less step and it does the same thing. Maybe this won't crash.

That's brilliant! It did work. It would be nice to figure out what's going on with the polyplane to extrude pipeline, but this has gotten me unblocked. I can't believe I didn't notice that 🙃 Thanks for helping!

It works here - no crash. Due the sheer size of that SVG it´s 16units wide you can´t just drag to extrude - BUT you can: select all Polygons - call for Extrude tool - LMB click&drag a tiny bit - release - call Transform tool and drag along extrude axis - no issue:
Extrude.png

So my guess is the click&drag process failed or got stacked and added by multiple click&drag tries perhaps.

@Martin The bug was in the Extrude tool or SVG-loader? I ask because the SVG has issues which easily come to light when Polyplane creator has been made editable and Shell tool tries to thicken the mesh.

Yes, the shell tool was also effected by that bug. The problem was not in the SVG loader but was caused by a tiny triangle which was created when the spline was tessellated. This tiny polygon caused some numerical instabilities which finally caused the crash.

Back