Applying what I have learned

Thanks to Eric, I have learned a lot over the last week.
This afternoon, I decided to have a play and apply some of what I have learned to something completely different.
I started with creating a spline profile for a Doric-style column and lathing it, adding a cap, applying a matrix, adding a slab for the ceiling, then applying some of my patterns and try out the boolean creator; just to play around. Nothing is drawn to scale; just all done by eye. The objective was simply to experiment, so nothing is perfectly drawn or modelled.

Attachments

• Doric Columns with 6-fold pattern.jpg
    Doric Columns with 6-fold pattern.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Doric Columns with Chevrons.jpg
    Doric Columns with Chevrons.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 125
Hi Chris
Nitpick:
* Note that columns - from European to Japanese architecture - deploy entasis for optical trickery. There is a very slight bow so columns are not precisely cylindrical / conical but mildly "pregnant". There is also a minute camber in the base, the steps and other horizontals.
Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 10.15.35.png

Thanks Helmut. Yes I’m aware of the optical corrections.

Also, whereas the Roman’s used circles for their curves, the Greeks used complex curves that are related to conic sections, not only in their buildings, but also in their pottery. And then there are the proportions of dynamic symmetry, root-two, root-three, root four, root-five, golden ratio, Egyptian triangle, etc that can be used to determine the dimensions of all the parts of a building relative to the whole building in plan and elevation.

By the way, the repeating unit in the six-fold Islamic looking pattern is constructed in a root-three rectangle. The chevrons in the other pattern are all related to each other using the golden ratio. These are 3D mock-ups generated on Spoonflower.
karori stars gustavian blue - 9.jpg
karori stars gustavian blue - 4.jpg

Last edited:
* Indeed! The Romans may have been excellent at engineering (and law and admin) but the old Greeks were far superior in theory, in math and algebra (see Pythagoras, Euklid, Archimedes et al). Unfortunately, half of this stuff, whilst >2.5 k years old, is above the conceptual level of current education.
PS: Sorry, ZooHead, I know that maths is not your strong point. This is just a gentle joke.

* Some years ago, I spent quite some time on "Islamic" tessellations. There are some stunning examples in existing mosques where, apart from the tiling, hemi- / quarter- domes have been divided and subdivided into almost fractional and infinitely repeating components.
Sally_Port_of_Sheikh_Lotf_Allah_Mosque.JPG

Another thing I am starting to get the hang of recently is UVs. This is another random project I was playing around with over the last week. It's another pattern that I intend to sell on Spoonflower. Cheetah 3D's orthographic camera setting is coming in really hand. I still have to play around with the settings to get the repeating unit right so it tessellates perfectly. The render below is an automated Spoonflower render. On uploading the unit that is to be repeated, Spoonflower automatically tiles it to create the pattern and creates a set of mockups.
15579320-1.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot Sisika.jpg
    Screenshot Sisika.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 99
Back